Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Michael and Johns Hopkins

Michael and I met as young graduate students at Hopkins, studying with Lynn Fox and Julian Stanley. It was the 70s, the field was young, somewhat polarized, but SO exciting. The first talent searches were administered in person on the Hopkins campus to small groups of needy and brilliant students, Julian Stanley's research was breaking new ground, and we felt like we were caught up in a movement that was propelling us forward. As Michael went on to become a scholar and leader in the field, he never forgot his Hopkins roots. He updated me regularly on Hopkins lacrosse standings (of which I had no knowledge and little interest except through Michael), and proudly wore his Hopkins blue jay tie on a regular basis. Michael spoke lovingly and with great respect about Julian at the Memorial in Julian's honor at NAGC, and I hope he knew that the respect was mutual. Julian told me often about the pride he felt in Michael's accomplishments and also about what a "really nice guy" he was. Michael was a very special friend and I will miss him very much.



Linda Brody

No comments: