Saturday, January 19, 2008

I met Michael at a NAGC conference in LA in the early 1990s. As fellow Canadians we immediately became friends, as was the case with his alter ego Sal Mendaglio. It was always a pleasure to see him at conferences. We did teach together once in Sydney, where he had his accident this year. I admired his scholarly ethics, as well as his mastery of research methodology and statistics. The last time we saw each other was at this year's NAGC in Minneapolis. We were seated together (with Sal of course) at a late restaurant dinner offered by Joel McIntosh. How strange to realize that this would be our last chat.My wife was also shocked. She met him last summer in England at the World conference. We were seated close together at the Shakespeare play. She found him a perfect gentleman who helped her with her imperfect English. When I looked at Mike's obituary, I discovered that he and her shared the same birthday: June 26. What a coincidence! I will miss our friendly talks at conferences. I intend to propose a Scotchand Vodka party to his memory at the next conference, in my case the Wallace Symposium in May. Who will join me?

Françoys Gagné

No comments: