Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Kind, Thoughtful Scholar

Some years ago as a fledgling doctoral student making only perhaps my second solo research presentation, I met Michael at an annual NAGC conference. Of all the people I encountered that year, he was one of less than a handful who made me feel as if I had right to be there – that I not only had completed my study well but that it had significance to our field. Thereafter, I invariably gravitated to him whenever our paths would cross, and a number of years later as NAGC President, I often consulted him behind the scenes about issues and direction. His advice was, like Michael, unequivocally clear, rooted in evidence, helpful to a fault, but unwavering in its empathy. Perhaps more importantly, Michael became my friend and not merely my colleague; he was compassionate, brilliant, and accepting. I have found that academe, like most of life’s episodes, is replete with colleagues, but there are not many scholars who make themselves available as a true friend like Michael did for me. So long as I breathe, I will never forget his kind heart guided by his agile mind.

I am not available to attend AERA so I am hoping, albeit far into the future, that some appropriate activities honoring Michael, not merely for his work but for his essence as a human being, can be orchestrated in November at NAGC. I will certainly do whatever I can to facilitate. Let’s face it fellow scholars; while our work may last years beyond our lifespan, there is more to each of us than our scholarship. It is what we do for others and how we treat them that is at least as important as our lists of publications and professional activities. While Michael of course had credentials in both ways, as a scholar and as a down-to-earth person, it is the later set of accomplishments– those that touched the hearts of others -- that will shine forever. Written publications in fact sustain one’s name in print for eternity and the impact of those writings may also endure many years, yet the real essence of each of us is not in our work as much as in the nature and quality of the relationships we construct along the way. Frankly, in living the remainder of my life, I hope I do not ever forget the lessons of humility and kindness that Michael so well taught me.

Blessings, Michael; you are in a better place.

Rick Olenchak

No comments: