Sunday, January 20, 2008



I first received the shocking news about Michael via the Global Caring Division of NAGC. That alone is so appropriate. To read from so many others about how he treated so many people as though it was simply a delight to see them and spend time with them - what a gift he had and he gave! I met Michael at the first or second Wallace Symposium in Iowa City, IA. I felt alone and out of place but wanted to learn about this thing called giftedness. He was already a dear, long-time friend of Susan Rostan, and the three of us hung around a lot those three days. Ever since then he has been so open, so real, so connected, every time I see him anywhere. When I would first see Michael -- no matter where it was -- I always felt at home, safe, loved, accepted. His devotion to his wife and daughter, his interesting personal story, were all an important part of him. I am so sad. There was a poignancy to Michael that made me not want to miss a minute of what he had to tell, what he thought, and what his hopes and dreams were. Most recently, he helped me with some statistics related to personality and global caring issues, and he shared dinner with my husband and me in Helsinki after the 2006 ECHA conference. I am so sorry we didn't take more time during this past NAGC conference, but I thought I had at least 40 more years to be friends with Michael.

Here is a good photo of happy times. I will miss you always, Michael, and always be so glad to have known you.

Deborah Ruf

No comments: